WHY DO I NEED UNDERLAYMENT? Can I use newspaper or old carpet?
- To answer those questions we need to know what exactly underlayment is and what it does. A proper underlayment is considered a “non woven Geotextile” That is a fancy term for saying it is a really tough material that is lightweight and easy to work with.
- Underlayment has only one job and that is to protect your pond liner. 45 mil Pond liner is very strong and puncture resistant but it does have its limits. Using a 6oz thickness of underlayment can improve the PUNTURE RESISTANCE of your pond liner by 400%.
- “I want to use newspapers for an underlayment.” Great, go right ahead. Just make sure you test the thickness that you need by stacking enough WET newspapers over a sharp rock that it does not poke thru when you put 20,000 lbs on top of it! The average 2 foot deep pond that is 11x16 foot will have enough water in it to exceed 10 TONS. That’s over 20,000 pounds of water in your pond. If you use newspapers as your underlayment you better stack them about 1 foot thick. That’s a lot of Sunday papers folks!
- “I want to use sand for an underlayment” SEE ABOVE. Unless you OWN the beach you are getting the sand from it is a BAD and expensive idea to try and put enough sand down to protect your pond liner from rocks hidden under the surface. These rocks will emerge over time as the HUGE weight of your pond presses down on it.
- “I want to use old carpet for an underlayment” Got allergies? No, well you soon will have. Yes, then stay away from your pond all together as it will soon make you sick. Look folks, saving money is my favorite past time but doing so at the risk of my health has never been high on my list. Carpets are NASTY , DIRTY, BACTERIA FILLED MOLD ATTRACTORS! And that’s when they are dry in your home. Now take this same filthy used rag and put it under your pond liner where it will sit wet and moldy for the next 10-20 years. In this case your fish will be fine but as far as the people around the pond, their health is in your hands.
- Save money when it makes sense and spend money to ensure your family and friends enjoy your new pond without the need for allergy shots!
- Ready to purchase? Continue to Pond Underlayment Fabric Page